Descriptive Metaphysics and Conceptual Analisis in the Thought of P. F. Strawson
Keywords:connective analysis, concepts, descriptive metaphysics, analytic philosophy
The purpose of this paper is to clarify the aim, scope and limits of Philosophical Analysis as conceived in Peter Strawson’s Analysis and Metaphysics. For this author Philosophical Analysis takes the form of a Descriptive Metaphysics, namely, a theory that displays which are the different elements that make up our ordinary conceptual scheme, and how they interact. To achieve such a Descriptive Theory a style of analysis that the author calls Connective must be adopted and its goal is to identify which concepts, within our scheme, are basic or fundamental. To this end must be applied three criteria: Generality, Irreducibility and No-Contingency.
BURTT, E. A. “Descriptive metaphysics”, in: Mind, Vol 73, 1963.
FREGE, Gottlob. Sobre sentido y signi cado, en: Escritos lógico-semánticos. Tecnos, Madrid, 1974.
GLOUBERMAN, M. Doctrine and method in the philosophy of P. Strawson, en: Philosophy and phenomenological research, Vol. 36, N°. 3. March, 1976.
HAHN, Lewis E. The philosophy of P. F. Strawson. The library of living philosophers, Vol. 25. Open Court, Illinois, 1998.
HOLGUIN, Magdalena. Wittgenstein y el escepticismo. Editorial Universidad del Valle, Santiago de Cali, 1997.
KANT, Immanuel. Crítica de la razón pura. Alfaguara, Madrid, 1998.
MOORE, George E. Defensa del sentido común y otros ensayos. Ediciones Orbis S.A., Barcelona, 1983.
RUSSELL, Bertrand. Análisis Filosófico. Paidós, Barcelona, 1999.
SKIDELSKY, Liza. Análisis Filosófico: Strawson entre Wittgenstein y Quine. Dianoia, Universidad de Buenos Aires, 2003.
STRAWSON, P. F. Análisis y metafísica. Paidós, Barcelona, 1992.
STRAWSON, P. F. Ensayos lógico-lingüísticos. Técnos, Madrid, 1983.
STRAWSON, P. F. Entity & Identity and other essays. Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1997.
STRAWSON, P. F. Individuos. Taurus Humanidades, Madrid, 1989.
STRAWSON, P. F. Libertad y resentimiento. Paidós, Barcelona, 1995.
STRAWSON, P. F. The Bounds of Sense. Routledge, New York, 2005.
URMSON, J. O. El análisis filosófico. Ariel, Barcelona, 1978.
WITTGENSTEIN, Ludwig. Los cuadernos azul y marrón. Editorial Tecnos, Madrid, 1976.
WITTGENSTEIN, Ludwig. Investigaciones Filosóficas. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Instituto de Investigaciones Filosóficas, México, 1988.
WITTGENSTEIN, Ludwig. Sobre la Certeza. Gedisa, Barcelona, 2000.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term "Work" shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
2. Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
3. The Author shall grant to the Publisher a nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoCommercia-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0), or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions: (a) Attribution: Other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;(b) Noncommercial: Other users (including Publisher) may not use this Work for commercial purposes;
4. The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal;
5. Authors are permitted, and Estudios de Filosofía promotes, to post online the preprint manuscript of the Work in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access). Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work is expected be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Estudios de Filosofía's assigned URL to the Article and its final published version in Estudios de Filosofía.