Quality of life of elderly. Comparison between urban and rural areas
Keywords:Quality of life, health of the elderly, rural health, urban health.
Objective. Comparing the scores of quality of life according to place of residence (urban and rural areas).
Methods. A cross-sectional study involving 2142 elderly in urban area and other 850 in rural area of the municipality of Uberaba (Minas Gerais, Brazil). Instruments used: Olders Americans Resources and Services, World Health Organization Quality of Life - BREF (WHOQOL-BREF) and World Health Organization Quality of Life Assessment for Older Adults (WHOQOL-OLD).
Results. We found that in urban area predominated women and men in rural areas. It was common in two areas: 60Ⱶ70 years old, married marital status, schooling of 4 to 8 years of study and the income of a minimum wage. The elderly residing in the urban area with their children and in rural areas did so with the spouse. In the evaluation of the quality of life, rural elders presented scores significantly higher than the urban area in the domains of physical, psychological, and social relations in the WHOQOL-BREF; and in the facets of autonomy, past, present and future activities, social participation and intimacy of the WHOQOL-OLD. For the latter instrument facets sensory ability and of death and dying the elderly's urban area had higher scores than the rural area.
Conclusion. The elders of the urban area showed a greater involvement of the quality of life than the residents in the rural area. Nurses who work in primary care should address health strategies according to the specific needs of the urban and rural areas.
How to cite this article: Tavares DMS, Bolina AF, Dias FA, Ferreira PCS, Haas VJ. Quality of life of elderly. Comparison between urban and rural areas. Invest Educ Enferm. 2014; 32(3):
(1) Celich SLK, Creutzberg M, Goldim JR, Gomes. Ageing with quality of life: the perception of elderly participants in groups of senior citizens.REME Rev Min Enferm. 2010; 14(2):226-32.
(2) World Health Organization. The World Health Organization Quality Of Life Assessment (WHOQOL): position paper from the world health organization. Soc Sci Med. 1995; 41(10):1403-9.
(3) udey A, Ambekar S, Goyal RC, Agarekar S, Wagh VV. Assessment of Quality of Life among Rural and Urban Elderly Population of Wardha District, Maharashtra, India. Ethno Med. 2011; 5(2):89-93.
(4) Oguzturk O. Differences in quality of life in rural and urban population. Clin Invest Med. 2008; 31(6):E346-50.
(5) Beltrame V, Cader SA, Cordazzo, F, Dantas EHM. Quality of life of elderly people of urban and rural area of the municipality of Concórdia, SC. Rev Bras Geriatr Gerontol, Rio de Janeiro. 2012; 15(2):223-31.
(6) The Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE). Synthesis of social indicators: an analysis of the living conditions of the Brazilian population. Brasilia: IBGE; 2010.
(7) Alencar NA, Aragão JCB, Ferreira MA, Dantas EHM. The evaluation of the quality of life in elderly residents in urban and rural environments.Rev Bras Geriatr Gerontol. 2010; 13(1):103-9.
(8) Icaza MC, albala C. Projeto SABE. Minimental State Examination (MMSE) the study of dementia in Chile: statistical analysis. Washintong:OPAS; 1999.
(9) Bertolucci PHF, Brucki SMD, Campacci SR, Juliano Y. The mini-exame of the mental state in a general population: impact of schooling.Arq Neuro-Psiquiatr, São Paulo. 1994; 52(1):1-7.
(10) Ramos LR. Growing old in São Paulo, Brazil: assessment of health status and family support of the elderly of different socio-economic strata living in the community [Dissertation]. London: London School of Hygiene and Tropical of Medicine; 1987.
(11) Fleck MPA, Chamovich E, Trentini, C. Development and validation of the Portuguese version of the WHOQOL-OLD module. Public Health Magazine. 2006; 40(5):785-91.
(12) Fleck MPA, Louzada S, Xavier M, Vieira G, Santos L, Pinzon V. Application of the Portuguese version of the abbreviated instrument for assessing the quality of life “WHOQOL-bref”. Public Health Magazine. 2000; 34(2):178-83.
(13) The Inter-Union Department of Statistics and Socioeconomic Studies (DIEESE) [Website]. São Paulo: dieese.org.br; 2014 [cited Feb 3 2012]. Available from: http://www.dieese.org.br/rel/rac/salminMenu09-05.xml
(14) Dal Pizzol TS, Pons ES, Hugo FN, Bozzetti MC, Sousa MLR, Hilgert JB. Use of medications among elderly residents in urban and rural areas of municipality in southern Brazil: a population-based study. Cad Public Health. 2012; 28(1):104-14.
(15) Froehlich JM, Rauber CC, Carpes RH, Toebe. M. Selective exodus, masculinization and rural population ageing in the central region of Rio Grande do Sul. Rural Science. 2011; 41(9):1674-80.
(16) The Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE). Synthesis of social indicators: an analysis of the living conditions of the Brazilian population. Brasilia: IBGE;2008.
(17) Cabral SOL, Oliveira CCC, Vargas MM, Neves ACS. Environment and health conditions in the elderly residents in rural and urban areas in a municipality of the northeastern region.Geriatric Gerontology. 2010; 4(2):76-84.
(18) Morais EP, Rodrigues RAP, Gerhardt TE. The elderly elders in rural areas: reality of life and health of a population of interior Gaucho. Text Context Nursing. 2008; 17(2):374-83.
(19) Gutierrez BAO, Auricchio AM, Medina NVJ. Measurement of the quality of life of elderly in living centers. J Health Sci Inst. 2011; 29(3):186-90.
(20) Martins CR, Albuquerque FJB, Gouveia CNNA, Rodrigues CFF, Neves MTS. Evaluation of subjective quality of life of the elderly: a comparison between seniors living in rural and urban cities.Estud. interdiscip. Aging. 2007; 11:135-54.
(21) Travassos C, Viacava F. Access to and use of health services by seniors living in rural areas, Brazil, 1998 e 2003. Cad Public Health. 2007; 23(10):2490-502.
(22) Kumar SG, Majumdar AG. Quality of Life (QOL) and Its Associated Factors Using WHOQOL-BREF Among Elderly in Urban Puducherry, India. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014; 8(1):54-7.
(23) Souza LC, Lautert L, Hilleshein EF. Quality of life and volunteer work in the elderly. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2011; 45(3):665-71.
(24) Huong NT, Hai Ha le T, Quynh Chi NT, Hill PS, Walton T. Exploring quality of life among the elderly in Hai Duong province, Vietnam: a rural-urban dialogue. Glob Health Action. 2012; 22(5):1-12.
(25) Tavares DMS, Gávea Jr SA, Dias FA, Santos NMF, Oliveira PB. Quality of life and functional capacity of the elderly residents in the countryside.Rev Rene. 2011; 12(n. esp.):895-903.
(26) Tavares VO, Teixeira KMD, Wajnman S, Loreto MDS. Interfaces between the income of the elderly retirees and the family context. Texts And Contexts.2011; 10(1):94-108.
(27) Torres GB, Reis LA, Reis LA, Fernandes MO. Quality of life and associated factors in elderly dependents in an inner city in the Northeast. Brazilian Journal of Psychiatry. 2009; 58(1):39-44.
(28) Maués CR, Paschoal SMP, Jaluul O, França CC, Jacob Filho W. Evaluation of quality of life: comparison between elderly young and very elderly.Brazilian Magazine of Medical Clinic. 2010; 8(5):405-10.
(29) Nicolazi MC, Silva JKC, Coelho L, Cascaes AM, Büchele F. Quality of life in the elderly: a study on primary health care. Cogitare Nursing. 2009; 14(3):428-34
(30) Montenegro LC, Brito MJM. Aspects that facilitate or hinder the formation of nurses in primary health care. Invest Educ Enferm. 2011; 29(2):238-47.
How to Cite
Derechos de propiedad / Direitos de Propriedade
English: If the article is accepted for publication, all copyright will be of exclusive property of Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. The text and the graphics included in the publication are exclusive responsibility of the authors and not necessarily reflect the thought of the Editorial Committee.
Español: Si el artículo es aprobado para publicación, todos los derechos son de propiedad de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. El texto y las gráficas incluidas en la publicación son de exclusiva responsabilidad de los autores y no necesariamente refleja el pensamiento del Comité Editorial.
Português: Se o artigo for aceito para publicação, todos os direitos autorais serão de propriedade exclusiva de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. O texto e os gráficos incluídos na publicação são de responsabilidade exclusiva dos autores e não refletem necessariamente o pensamento do Comitê Editorial.