Violence and discrimination against nursing students.
Objective. To measure the frequency of acts of gender discrimination and violence against nursing students in a Colombian public university.
Methodology. A cross-sectional descriptive study with a representative sample of 81 students in the nursing program was conducted during the first half of 2011. The information was taken through a self-filled survey, inquiring about the history of violence and discrimination during college life, taken place on campus and at practice sites.
Results. Seventy percent of the students were subjected to one of 17 types of violent or discriminatory acts investigated during their university life in the university facilities or in practice sites. The most frequent events reported by students were: abuse of authority (43%), taunts, gestures and obscene compliments (32%), psychological aggression (27%); verbal aggression (19%); and discrimination due to physical appearance (12%).
Conclusion. A high proportion of nursing students participating in the study were subjected to acts of violence and discrimination. It is necessary for the university to generate welfare strategies to change attitudes related to these actions.
(1) Young P, Hortis De Smith V, Chambi MC, Finn B C. Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), a 101 años de su fallecimiento. Rev Méd Chile. 2011; 139(6): 807-13.
(2) Van Bogaert P, Clarke S, Roelant E, Meulemans H, Van de Heyning P. Impacts of unit-level nurse practice environment and burnout on nurse-reported outcomes: a multilevel modelling approach. J Clin Nurs. 2010;19(11-12):1664-74.
(3) Johnson SL. International perspectives on workplace bullying among nurses: a review. Int Nurs Rev. 2009;56(1):34-40.
(4) Kivimäki M, Elovainio M, Vahtera J. Workplace bullying and sickness absence in hospital staff. Occup Environ Med. 2000;57(10):656-60.
(5) Kanai-Pak M, Aiken LH, Sloane DM, Poghosyan L. Poor work environments and nurse inexperience are associated with burnout, job dissatisfaction and quality deficits in Japanese hospitals. J Clin Nurs. 2008;17(24):3324-9.
(6) Tuesca-Molina R, Iguarán M, Suárez M, Vargas G y Vergara D. Síndrome de desgaste profesional en enfermeras/os del área metropolitana de Barranquilla. Salud Uninorte. 2006;22(2):84-91
(7) Hinson J, Shapiro M. Violence in the workplace: awareness and prevention. Aust Health Rev. 2003; 26(1):84-91.
(8) Findorff MJ, McGovern PM, Wall M, Gerberich SG, Alexander B. Risk factors for work related violence in a health care organization. Inj Prev. 2004;10:296-302.
(9) Huebner LC. It is part of the job: waitresses and nurses define sexual harassment. Sociol Viewp. 2008: 75-90
(10) Celik SS, Bayraktar N. A study of nursing student abuse in Turkey. J Nurs Educ. 2004; 43(7):330-6.
(11) Cortés NR. Depresión en estudiantes de enfermería. Av Psiquiatr Biol. 2005; 6:126-141
(12) Moreno CL, Osorio LS y Sepúlveda LE. Violencia sexual contra las estudiantes de la Universidad de Caldas (Colombia). Estudio de corte transversal. Rev Col Obst Gin. 2007; 58(2):58-65.
(13) Fernández SY, Hernández GS Y Paniagua RE. Violencia de Género en la Universidad de Antioquia. Medellín: Lealón; 2005.
(14) República de Colombia. Congreso de la República. Por medio de la cual se adoptan medidas para prevenir, corregir y sancionar el acoso laboral y otros hostigamientos en el marco de las relaciones de trabajo. Ley 1010 de 2006. Diario Oficial No. 46.160, (Jan 23 2006).
(15) Thomas SP, Burk R. Junior nursing students' experiences of vertical violence during clinical rotations. Nurs Outlook. 2009;57(4):226-31.
(16) Celik Y, Celik SS. Sexual harassment against nurses in Turkey. J Nurs Scholarsh. 2007; 39(2):200-6.
(17) Leymann, H. The Content and Development of Mobbing at Work. Eur J Work Organ Psychol. 2006; (5):165-184.
(18) Yildirim A, Yildirim D. Mobbing in the workplace by peers and managers: mobbing experienced by nurses working in healthcare facilities in Turkey and its effect on nurses. J Clin Nurs. 2007;16(8): 1444-53.
(19) Yildirim D. Bullying among nurses and its effects. Int Nurs Rev. 2009; 56(4):504-11.
(20) Vessey JA, Demarco RF, Gaffney DA, Budin WC. Bullying of staff registered nurses in the workplace: a preliminary study for developing personal and organizational strategies for the transformation of hostile to healthy workplace environments. J Prof Nurs. 2009; 25(5):299-306.
(21) Rowe MM, Sherlock H. Stress and verbal abuse in nursing: do burned out nurses eat their young?. J Nurs Manag. 2005; 13:242-8.
(22) Oztunç G. Examination of incidents of workplace verbal abuse against nurses. J Nurs Care Qual. 2006;21(4):360-5.
(23) Kamchuchat C, Chongsuvivatwong V, Oncheunjit S, Yip TW, Sangthong R. Workplace violence directed at nursing staff at a General Hospital in Southern Thailand. J Occup Health. 2008; 50(2):201-7.
(24) Junious DL, Malecha A, Tart K, Young A. Stress and perceived Faculty support among foreing-born baccalaureate nursing students. J Nurs Educ. 2010; 49(5): 261-70.
(25) Moceri JT. Being cabezona: success strategies of Hispanic nursing students. Int J Nurs Educ Scholarsh. 2010; 7(1):Article25.
(26) Men in nursing. Journal of nursing. [Internet] 2008. [cited Apr 24 2012]; Available in: http://www.asrn.org/journal-nursing/374-men-in-nursing.html
(27) Harding T. The construction of men who are nurses as gay. J Adv Nurs. 2007; 60(6):636-44.
(28) Gardner J. Barriers influencing the success of racial and ethnic minority students in nursing programs. J Transcult Nurs. 2005; 16(2):155-62.
Derechos de propiedad / Direitos de Propriedade
English: If the article is accepted for publication, all copyright will be of exclusive property of Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. The text and the graphics included in the publication are exclusive responsibility of the authors and not necessarily reflect the thought of the Editorial Committee.
Español: Si el artículo es aprobado para publicación, todos los derechos son de propiedad de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. El texto y las gráficas incluidas en la publicación son de exclusiva responsabilidad de los autores y no necesariamente refleja el pensamiento del Comité Editorial.
Português: Se o artigo for aceito para publicação, todos os direitos autorais serão de propriedade exclusiva de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. O texto e os gráficos incluídos na publicação são de responsabilidade exclusiva dos autores e não refletem necessariamente o pensamento do Comitê Editorial.