Gender differences in the perception of quality of life of patients with colorectal cancer
Objective. to identify the gender differences in assessing quality of life of patients undergoing chemotherapy treatment for colorectal cancer.
Methods. this is a cross- sectional investigation conducted with 144 patients (72 men and 72 women) undergoing chemotherapy treatment in a southeastern Brazilian hospital. Data were gathered trough a sociodemographic and clinical information form and the Health-related Quality of Life instrument from the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer.
Results. cognitive function leads to lower general quality of life, with higher effect in men when compared to women. Body image (p=0.023), bdominal pain (p=0.020) and dry mouth p=0.001) produced lower quality of life in women. On other hand, men showed lower quality of life related to the following symptoms: fecal incontinency (p<0.001), sexual impotency (p=0.027) and sexual arousal (p<0.001).
Conclusion. the illness symptoms and hemotherapy treatment effects tha negatively impact on quality of life differ between men and women. Thus, healthcare needs to be focused on these specific factors that affect the quality of life according to the patient’s gender.
How to cite this article: Trinquinato I, Silva RM, Benavente SBT, Antonietti CC, Calache ANSC. Gender differences in the perception of quality of life of patients with colorectal cancer. Invest. Educ. Enferm. 2017; 35(3): 320-329.
(1) INCA. Estimativa 2016 Incidência de Câncer no Brasil. 2016 [cited 2016 Aug 10]. Available from: http://www.inca.gov.br/estimativa/2016/
(2) Pollock R, Doroshow J, Khayat D, Nakao A, O’Sullivan B. Manual de Oncologia Clínica da UICC. União Internacional Contra o Câncer. 8th Ed. São Paulo: Fundação Oncocentro de São Paulo; 2006.
(3) Saragiotto D, Riechelmann R, Ribeiro Junior U, Hoff P. Tumores de cólon. Tratado de oncologia. São Paulo: Atheneu; 2013.
(4) Holland JC, Andersen B, Breitbart WS, Buchmann LO, Compas B, Deshields TL, et al. Distress management: NCCN Guidelines; 2011.
(5) WHO. WHOQOL-HIV Instrument. Mental Health: evidence and research department of mental health and substance dependence. WHO: Geneva; 2012.
(6) EORTC. Quality of Life. 2016 [cited 2016 Aug 10]; Available from: http://www.eortc.org/qualityof-life/.
(7) Lewis C, Xun P, He K. Effects of adjuvant chemotherapy on recurrence, survival, and quality of life in stage II colon cancer patients: a 24-month followup. Support Care Cancer. 2016; 24(4):1463-71.
(8) Buetto LS, Zago MM. Meanings of quality of life held by patients with colorectal cancer in the context of chemotherapy. Rev. Latino-Am Enferm. 2015; 23(3):427-34.
(9) Moreira-Almeida A, Pinsky I, Zaleski M, Laranjeira R. Envolvimento religioso e fatores sociodemograficos: resultados de um levantamento nacional no Brasil. Rev. Psiq. Clin. 2010; 37(1):12-5.
(10) Sanchez R, Alexander-Sierra F, Oliveiros R. Relationship between quality of life and clinical status in patients with gastrointestinal cancer. Rev. Esp. Enferm. Dig. 2012; 104(11):584-91.
(11) Aaroson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, Bullinger M, Cull A, Duez N, et al. The European Organization for research and treatment of Cancer QLCC30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 1993; 855:365-76
(12) Franceschini J, Jardim JR, Fernandes ALG, Jamnik S, Santoro IL. Reprodutibilidade da versão em português do Brasil do European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Core Quality of Life Questionnaire em conjunto com seu módulo específico para câncer de pulmão. J. Bras. Pneumol. 2010; 36(5):595-602.
(13) Fayers P, Aaronson N, Bjordal K, Groenvold M, Curran D, Bottomley A. The QLQ-C30 Scoring Manual. Brussels: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer; 2001.
(14) EORTC, inventor; EORTC Quality of Life Group, assignee. EORTC QLQ-CR29 Portuguese (Brazil);
(15) Costa AL, Heitkemper MM, Alencar GP, Damiani LP, Silva RM, Jarrett ME. Social Support Is a Predictor of Lower Stress and Higher Quality of Life and Resilience in Brazilian Patients With Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Nurs. 2016 May 11. [Epub ahead of print].
(16) Lima-Costa MF, De Oliveira C, Macinko J, Marmot M. Socioeconomic inequalities in health in older adults in Brazil and England. Am. J. Public Health. 2012; 102(8):1535-41. 329
(17) Maringe C, Walters S, Rachet B, Butler J, Fields T, Finan P, et al. Stage at diagnosis and colorectal cancer survival in six high-income countries: a population-based study of patients diagnosed during 2000-2007. Acta Oncol. 2013; 52(5):919-32.
(18) Ahmed AA. Clinicopathological profile of female Sudanese patients with locally advanced breast cancer. Breast Dis. 2014; 34(3):131-4.
(19) Teker F, Demirag G, Erdem D, Kemal Y, Yucel I. Quality of life in colorectal cancer patients during chemotherapy in the era of monoclonal antibody therapies. J. BUON. 2015; 20(2):443-51.
(20) Sawada N, Nicolussi A, Okino L, Cardozo F, Zago M. Avaliação da qualidade de vida de pacientes com câncer submetidos à quimioterapia. Rev. Esc. Enferm. USP. 2009; 43(3):581-7.
(21) Kinoshita Y, Chishaki A, Kawamoto R, Manabe T, Ueki T, Hirata K, et al. A longitudinal study of gender differences in quality of life among Japanese patients with lower rectal cancer treated with sphincter-saving surgery: a 1-year follow-up. World J. Surg. Oncol. 2015; 13:91.
(22) Domati F, Luppi G, Reggiani-Bonetti L, Zironi S, Depenni R, Fontana A, et al. The perception of health-related quality of life in colon cancer patients during chemotherapy: differences between men and women. Int. Emerg. Med. 2015; 10(4):423-9.
(23) Pud D. Gender differences in predicting quality of life in cancer patients with pain. Eur. J. Oncol. Nurs. 2011; 15(5):486-91.
Derechos de propiedad / Direitos de Propriedade
English: If the article is accepted for publication, all copyright will be of exclusive property of Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. The text and the graphics included in the publication are exclusive responsibility of the authors and not necessarily reflect the thought of the Editorial Committee.
Español: Si el artículo es aprobado para publicación, todos los derechos son de propiedad de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. El texto y las gráficas incluidas en la publicación son de exclusiva responsabilidad de los autores y no necesariamente refleja el pensamiento del Comité Editorial.
Português: Se o artigo for aceito para publicação, todos os direitos autorais serão de propriedade exclusiva de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. O texto e os gráficos incluídos na publicação são de responsabilidade exclusiva dos autores e não refletem necessariamente o pensamento do Comitê Editorial.