Anxiety in Relatives of Patients Admitted to Cardiac Care Units and its Relationship with Spiritual Health and Religious Coping
Keywords:family, anxiety, spirituality, adaptation, psychological, coronary care units, cross-sectional studies
Objective. This work sought to determine the level of anxiety in relatives of patients admitted to CCUs and its relationship with spiritual health and religious coping.
Methods. This cross-sectional study was conducted on 300 relatives of Cardiac Care Units patients in Jahrom, Iran. Required data was collected using the Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI), the Paloutzian-Ellison Spiritual Well Being Scale (SWBS), and the Pargament Brief RCOPE questionnaire.
Results. The results showed that both levels of state and trait anxiety were moderate and the level of total spiritual health was high. Anxiety score had an inverse relationship with spiritual health (r=-0.52) and a direct relationship with negative religious coping score (r=0.25). However, no significant relationship was found between total anxiety score and positive religious coping (p>0.05). There was a direct relationship between spiritual health and positive religious coping (r=0.19), and an inverse relationship between spiritual health and negative religious coping
Conclusion. According to the findings of the study, it is suggested to paying attention to the reinforcement of spiritual attitudes, beliefs, and religious coping strategies to reduce their anxiety in CCU patients.
(1) Pfeffer MA. Heart Failure and Hypertension: Importance of Prevention. Med. Clin. North Am. 2017; 101(1):19-28.
(2) Morton PG, Fontaine DK. Essentials of Critical Care Nursing A Holistic Approach: Wolters Kluwer Health| Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013.
(3) Sadeghi M, Haghdoost AA, Bahrampour A, Dehghani M. Modeling the Burden of Cardiovascular Diseases in Iran from 2005 to 2025: The Impact of Demographic Changes. Iran. J. Public Health. 2017; 46(4):506-16. (Persian)
(4) Bolosi M, Peritogiannis V, Tzimas P, Margaritis A, Milios K, Rizos DV. Depressive and anxiety symptoms in relatives of intensive care unit patients and the perceived need for support. J. Neurosci. Rural Pract. 2018; 9(4):522-8.
(5) Wartella JE, Auerbach SM, Ward KR. Emotional distress, coping and adjustment in family members of neuroscience intensive care unit patients. J. Psychosom. Res. 2009; 66(6):503-9.
(6) Alexandri A, Georgiadi E, Mattheou P, Polikandrioti M. Factors associated with anxiety and depression in hospitalized patients with first episode of acute myocardial infarction. Arch. Med. Sci. Atheroscler. Dis. 2017; 2:e90.
(7) Pashaei F, Taleghani F, Tavakol K, Rezaei AE. Family experiences from caregivering of patient with coronary artery bypass graft surgery: a qualitative study. Ira. J. Nurs. Res. 2010; 5(10):61-71.(Persian)
(8) van Beusekom I, Bakhshi-Raiez F, de Keizer NF, Dongelmans DA, van der Schaaf M. Reported burden on informal caregivers of ICU survivors: a literature review. Crit. Care (London, England). 2016; 20:16.
(9) Konstanti Z, Gouva M, Dragioti E, Nakos G, Koulouras V. Symptoms of Cardiac Anxiety in Family Members of Intensive Care Unit Patients. Am. J. Crit. Care. 2016; 25(5):448-56.
(10) Momennasab M, Moattari M, Abbaszadeh A, Shamshiri B. Spiritual experience of heart attack patients: A qualitative study. J. Qual. Res. Health Sci. 2013; 1(4):284-97. (Persian)
(11) Gaur KL, Sharma M. Measuring Spiritual Health: Spiritual Health Assessment Scale (SHAS). Iran. J. Innov. Res. Dev. 2014;3(3):63-7.
(12) Craven R, Hirnle C, Jensen S. Fundamental of nursing: Human health and function. 4th ed ed: Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wikins; 2003. p. 1383-92.
(13) Hedayati E, Hazrati M, Momen Nasab M, Shokoohi H, Afkari F. The Relationship Between Spiritual Well-being and Anxiety of Aged People Admitted in Coronary Care Units. Iran. J. Ageing. 2016; 11(3):432-9. (Persian)
(14) Baldacchino D. Spiritual care education of health care professionals. Religions. 2015; 6(2):594-613.
(15) Platovnjak I. The relationship between spirituality, religion, and culture. Studia Gdańskie. 2017; (41):117-25.
(16) Hatefi M, Vaisi-Raygani A, Borji M, Tarjoman A. Investigating the Relationship between Religious Beliefs with Care Burden, Stress, Anxiety, and Depression in Caregivers of Patients with Spinal Cord Injuries. J. Relig. Health. 2020; 59(4):1754-65.
(17) Gholamzadeh S, Hamid TA, Basri H, Sharif F, Ibrahim R. Religious coping and psychological well-being among Iranian stroke caregivers. Iran J. Nurs. Midwifery Res. 2014; 19(5):478-84. (Persian)
(18) Zafarian Moghaddam E, Behnam Vashani HR, Reihani T, Namazi Zadegan S. The Effect of Spiritual education on depression, anxiety and stress of caregivers of children with leukemia. J. Torbat Heydariyeh Univ. Med. Sci. 2016; 4(1):1-7. (Persian)
(19) Baljani E, Khashabi J, Amanpour E, Azimi N. Relationship between Spiritual Well-being, Religion, and Hope among Patients with Cancer. Hayat. 2011; 17(3):27-35.
(20) Bastani F, Ali Abadi T, Haghani H. The Effectiveness of Participatory Care Program in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit on State Anxiety of Mothers of Preterm Newborns. JBUMS. 2012; 14(3):59-65. (Persian)
(21) Aflakseir A, Coleman PG. Initial development of the Iranian religious coping scale. J. Muslim Ment. Health. 2011;6(1):44-54.
(22) Fumis RRL, Ranzani OT, Faria PP, Schettino G. Anxiety, depression, and satisfaction in close relatives of patients in an open visiting policy intensive care unit in Brazil. J. Crit. Care. 2015;30(2):440.el-440.e6.
(23) Lacerda MS, Cirelli MA, Barros ALBLd, Lopes JdL. Anxiety, stress and depression in family members of patients with heart failure. Rev. Escol. Enferm.USP. 2017;51:e03211.
(24) Loiselle CG, Gélinas C, Cassoff J, Boileau J, McVey L. A pre–post evaluation of the Adler/Sheiner Programme (ASP): A nursing informational programme to support families and nurses in an intensive care unit (ICU). Intensive and Crit. Care Nurs. 2012; 28(1):32-40.
(25) Heidari J, Jafari H, Janbabaei G. Life Quality Related To Spiritual Health And Factors Affecting It In Patients Afflicted By Digestive System Metastatic Cancer. Mater Sociomed. 2015;27(5):310-3. (Persian)
(26) Pearce MJ, Medoff D, Lawrence RE, Dixon L. Religious Coping Among Adults Caring for Family Members with Serious Mental Illness. Community Ment. Health J. 2016; 52(2):194-202.
(27) Thombre A, Sherman AC, Simonton S. Religious coping and posttraumatic growth among family caregivers of cancer patients in India. J. Psychosoc. Oncol. 2010 ;28(2):173-88.
(28) Francis B, Gill JS, Yit Han N, Petrus CF, Azhar FL, Ahmad Sabki Z, et al. Religious Coping, Religiosity, Depression and Anxiety among Medical Students in a Multi-Religious Setting. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2019; 16(2):259.
(29) Chong Guan Ng, Mohamed S, Sulaiman AH, Zainal NZ. Anxiety and Depression in Cancer Patients: The Association with Religiosity and Religious Coping. J. Relig. Health. 2017; 56(2):575-90.
(30) Ebrahimi H, Hasankhani H, Namdar H, Khodadadi E, Fooladi M. Dealing with Chronic Illness: Experiences of Iranian Families of Persons with Multiple Sclerosis-A Qualitative Study. Mult. Scler. Int. 2017; 9243161. (Persian)
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Investigación y Educación en Enfermería
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Derechos de propiedad / Direitos de Propriedade
English: If the article is accepted for publication, all copyright will be of exclusive property of Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. The text and the graphics included in the publication are exclusive responsibility of the authors and not necessarily reflect the thought of the Editorial Committee.
Español: Si el artículo es aprobado para publicación, todos los derechos son de propiedad de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. El texto y las gráficas incluidas en la publicación son de exclusiva responsabilidad de los autores y no necesariamente refleja el pensamiento del Comité Editorial.
Português: Se o artigo for aceito para publicação, todos os direitos autorais serão de propriedade exclusiva de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. O texto e os gráficos incluídos na publicação são de responsabilidade exclusiva dos autores e não refletem necessariamente o pensamento do Comitê Editorial.