Some revisions of virtue ethics
Keywords:anscombe, hursthouse, virtue ethics, Kantian ethics, utilitarianism
There are at least two reactions to the reemergence of virtue ethics: first, there are those who believe that such ethics is unnecessary because the modern moral theories include –or can include— the virtues. Secondly, there are those who think that the ethics of virtue is a more wide and complete moral theory than the modern ones. In this paper, the reemergence of virtue ethics is presented and the two reactions mentioned are examined. Finally, it is asked for the reason to prefer the ethics of virtue.
ANSCOMBE, E. (2005) La Filosofía Moral Moderna. En La filosofía analítica y la espiritualidad del hombre. Pamplona: Ediciones Universidad de Navarra, S.A
CAMPS, V. (2003) Virtudes Públicas. Madrid: Espasa Calpe.
CRISP, R. (ed.). (2003) How Should One Live? Oxford: Oxford University Press.
DEVETTERE, R. J. (2002) Introduction to Virtue Ethics, Insights of the Ancient Greeks. Washington: Georgetown University Press.
FOOT, P. (2002) Bondad Natural. Barcelona: Paidós.
FRANKENA, W. (1973) Ethics. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.
HOYOS, D. (2007) Ética de la virtud, alcances y límites. En: Discusiones filosóficas No. 11.
HURSTHOUSE, R. (2003) “Normative Virtue Ethics”. En: Crisp, R. (ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
HURSTHOUSE, R. (2007) “Virtue ethics” [sitio en internet]. Stanford Encyclopedia of philosophy, disponible en: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-virtue/. Acceso el 20 de enero de 2011.
HUME, D. (1978) A Treatise of Human Nature, ed. L.A. Selby-Bigge. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
MACINTYRE. (2001) Tras la Virtud. Barcelona: Crítica.
MILL, J.S. (1863) Utilitarianism. Parker, Son and Bourn, West Strand. Edición facsimilar de Saint Mary’s College of California [sitio en internet]. Disponible en: http://www.archive.org/details/a592840000milluoft.
Acceso el 2 de diciembre de 2010.
NUSSBAUM, M. (1996) “Virtudes no relativas: un enfoque aristotélico”, en A. Sen y M. Nussbaum (eds.) La calidad de vida. México: Fondo de Cultura Económica.
PENCE, G. (1995) “La teoría de la virtud”, en Peter Singer (ed.), Compendio de Ética. Madrid: Alianza Editorial.
RACHELS, J. (2007) Introducción a la Filosofía moral. México: Fondo de Cultura Económica.
RIVERA, F. (2003) Virtud y Justicia en Kant. México: Distribuciones Fontamara.
SWANTON, C. (2010) Virtue ethics, a pluralistic view. Oxford: Oxford University Press
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term "Work" shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
2. Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
3. The Author shall grant to the Publisher a nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoCommercia-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0), or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions: (a) Attribution: Other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;(b) Noncommercial: Other users (including Publisher) may not use this Work for commercial purposes;
4. The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal;
5. Authors are permitted, and Estudios de Filosofía promotes, to post online the preprint manuscript of the Work in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access). Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work is expected be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Estudios de Filosofía's assigned URL to the Article and its final published version in Estudios de Filosofía.