Meister Eckhart: philosophy and mysticism
Keywords:Eckhart, mysticism, negative theology, oxymoron, dispossession, silent nothing, desert, emptiness, divine names, humility, divine will.
The article intends to show how the mysticism of Meister Eckhart is the immersion into the silent nothingness of God as empty fullness and full emptiness, in the desert of divine abundance of not being of God’s being, through compliance with the divine will as ascension that fulfills without fulfilling. It analyzes the life, work and thought of the Meister based on his texts, The Book of Divine Comfort, The Fruit of Nothingness, Eternal Life and Divine Knowledge, Echoes of Middle Age. The article ends with an epilogue in which it discusses “Mustard Grain” where the abundant desert of the silent nothingness of God and the many names without name is explained.
DE LIBERA, A. (1994) La mystique rhénane. D’Albert le Grand à Maître Eckhart. Paris: Seuil.
DENZINGER, E. (1995) El magisterio de la Iglesia. Barcelona: Herder.
FAGGIN, G. (1953). M. Eckhart y la mística medieval alemana. Buenos Aires: Sudamericana.
FLÓREZ, A. (1983) La ética de Meister Eckhart. Bogotá: PUJ.
LOMBANA VILLALBA, I. M. (2007) ‘Sufrimiento que no sufre’: La ética intelectualista del Maestro Eckhart. Medellín: Diké.
LOSSKY, V. (1998) Théologie Négative et connaisance de Dieu chez Maitre Eckhart. Paris: Vrin.
MAESTRO ECKHART. (1998) Ecos de la Edad Media. Treinta días con un gran maestro espiritual. Meister Eckhart. Trad. Alfonso Rincón González. Bogotá: Norma.
MAESTRO ECKHART. (1998) El fruto de la nada. Trad. Amador Vega Esquerra. Madrid: Siruela.
MAESTRO ECKHART. (1996) El libro del consuelo divino. Trad. Alfonso Castaño Piñán. Medellín: Grafoprint.
MAESTRO ECKHART. (2003) Vida eterna y conocimiento divino. Trad. Miguel Grinberg. Buenos Aires: Deva’s.
OECHSLIN, R.-L. (1960) Eckhart (Maitre Eckhart). En: Dictionnaire de Spiritualité ascetique et mystique, doctrine et histoire. Tome IV/1. Paris: Beauchesne, pp. 93-115.
REYES, O. (2000). La ontología mística de Meister Eckhart y la cuestión teológica en Heidegger. Bogotá: Orión Editores.
RUH, K. (1997). Initation á Maitre Eckhart. Paris: Cerf. Recuperado de: www.laeditorialvirtual.com.ar/pages/MeisterEckart/00_Indice.htm
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term "Work" shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
2. Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
3. The Author shall grant to the Publisher a nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoCommercia-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0), or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions: (a) Attribution: Other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;(b) Noncommercial: Other users (including Publisher) may not use this Work for commercial purposes;
4. The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal;
5. Authors are permitted, and Estudios de Filosofía promotes, to post online the preprint manuscript of the Work in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access). Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work is expected be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Estudios de Filosofía's assigned URL to the Article and its final published version in Estudios de Filosofía.