Lifestyle and health conditions of adults with spinal cord injury
Keywords:Spinal cord injuries, health conditions, lifestyle, nursing
Objective. To describe the lifestyle of adults with spinal cord injury and explore its relation with some health conditions.
Methodology. Cross sectional study, in which a questionnaire containing sociodemographic, habits and health conditions variables was used. Forty-seven people with spinal cord injury participated and answered the self-report questionnaire.
Results. The group under study was predominantly male (92%), under 40 years of age (47%), and had low educational level (76%). The most frequent risk factors related to the lifestyle were: smoking (28%), alcohol consumption (36%), coffee consumption (92%) and being physically inactive (64%). Association was found between having four or more risk factors related to lifestyle and the loss of appetite, as well as constipation.
Conclusion. The actual inadequate lifestyle is associated with the health conditions of patients, and the nursing team should pay special attention to the education and promotion of health related to people with spinal cord injury.
(1) Cavalcante KMH, Carvalho ZMF, Barbosa IV, Rolim GA. Experience of the sexuality by people with spinal cord injury. Rev RENE. 2008; 9(1):27-35.
(2) Blanes L, Carmagnani MIS, Ferreira LM. Quality of life and self-esteen of persons with paraplegia living in São Paulo, Brazil. Qual Life Res. 2009; 18:15-21.
(3) Berga MELV, Castellotea JM, Mahillo-Fernandezc I, Pedro-Cuestac J. Incidence of Spinal Cord Injury Worldwide: A Systematic Review. Neuroepidemiology. 2010; 34:184-92
(4) Utida C, Truzzi JC, Bruschini H, Simonetti R, Cedenho AP, Srougi M et al. Male infertility in spinal cord trauma. Int Braz J Urol. 2008; 31(4):375-83.
(5) Galvin LR, Godfrey HPD. The impact of coping on emotional adjustment to spinal cord injury (SCI): review of the literature and application of a stress appraisal and coping formulation. Spinal Cord. 2001; 39(12):615-27.
(6) Krause JS, Broderick L. Patterns of recurrent pressure ulcers after spinal cord injury: identification of risk and protective factors 5 or more years after onset. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 85:1257-64.
(7) Krause JS, McArdle JJ, Pickelsimer E, Reed KS. A Latent Variable Structural Path Model of Health Behaviors After Spinal Cord Injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32(2):162-74.
(8) Vasconcelos AS, França ISX, Coura AS, Sousa FS, Souto RQ, Cartaxo HGO. Nursing interventions on the needs of people with spinal cord injury: an integrative review. Online Braz J Nurs. [Internet] 2010. [cited 2012 Mar 11]; 9(2). Available from: http://www.objnursing.uff.br/index.php/nursing/article/view/j.1676-4285.2010.3000/674
(9) Demirel S, Demirel G, Tukek T, Erk O, Yilmaz H. Risk factors for coronary heart disease in patients with spinal cord injury in Turkey. Spinal Cord. 2001; 39(3):134-8.
(10) Davies DS, McColl MA. Lifestyle risks for three disease outcomes in spinal cord injury. Clin Rehabil. 2002; 16(1):96-108.
(11) Tate DG, Forchheimer M, Krause JS, Meade M, Bombardier CH. Patterns of alcohol and substance use and abuse in persons with spinal cord injury risk factors and correlates. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85:1837-47.
(12) Tomey KM, Chen DM, Wang X, Braunschweig Cl. Dietary intake and nutritional status of urban community-dwelling men with paraplegia. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 4:664-71.
(13) Vall J, Braga AB, Almeida PC. Study of the quality of life in people with traumatic spinal cord injury. Arq Neuro-Psiquiatr. 2006; 64(2-B):451-5.
(14) McVeigh SA, Hitzig SL, Craven C. Influence of Sport Participation on Community Integration and Quality of Life: A Comparison Between Sport Participants and Non-Sport Participants With Spinal Cord Injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32(2):115-24.
(15) Gioia M, Cerasa A, Lucente A, Brunelli S, Castellano V, Traballesi M. Psychological impact of sports activity in spinal cord injury patients. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2006; 16(6):412-6.
(16) Sociedade Brasileira de Cardiologia. Sociedade Brasileira de Hipertensão. Sociedade Brasileira de Nefrologia. VI Brazilian Guidelines on Hypertension. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2010; 95(1 supl.1):1-51.
(17) Cafer CR, Barros ALBL, Lucena AF, Mahl MLS, Michel JLM. Nursing diagnoses and interventions proposal al for patients with spinal cord lesion. Acta Paul Enferm. 2005; 18(4):347-53.
(18) França ISX, Coura AS, França EG, Basílio NNV, Souto RQ. Quality of life of adults with spinal cord injury: a study using the WHOQOL-bref. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2011; 45(6):1364-71.
(19) Ullrich PM, Jensen MP, Loeser JD, Cardenas DD. Pain intensity, pain interference and characteristics of spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord. 2009; 46(6):451-455.
(20) Krassioukov A, Eng LL, Claxton G, Sakakibara BM, Shum S. Neurogenic bowel management after spinal cord injury: a systematic review of the evidence. Spinal Cord. 2010; 48:718-33.
(21) Roecker S, Marcon SS. Educação em saúde. Relatos das vivências de enfermeiros com a Estratégia da Saúde Familiar. Invest Educ Enferm. 2011; 29(3):381-90.
(22) Benjumeaa CC. El cuidado familiar: una revisión crítica. Invest Educ Enferm. 2009; 27(1): 96-102.
How to Cite
Derechos de propiedad / Direitos de Propriedade
English: If the article is accepted for publication, all copyright will be of exclusive property of Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. The text and the graphics included in the publication are exclusive responsibility of the authors and not necessarily reflect the thought of the Editorial Committee.
Español: Si el artículo es aprobado para publicación, todos los derechos son de propiedad de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. El texto y las gráficas incluidas en la publicación son de exclusiva responsabilidad de los autores y no necesariamente refleja el pensamiento del Comité Editorial.
Português: Se o artigo for aceito para publicação, todos os direitos autorais serão de propriedade exclusiva de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. O texto e os gráficos incluídos na publicação são de responsabilidade exclusiva dos autores e não refletem necessariamente o pensamento do Comitê Editorial.