Recognition: a new democratic passion?
Keywords:Politics and Recognition, Universalism, Political Philosophy, Democracy, Democratic Legitimacy, Multiculturalism, Charles Taylor, Dworkin, Walter
The expectancy for a Cultural Democracy that is able to face the intercultural challenge of the coexistence of cultures, the mediatization of knowledges and the migrations in the frame of globalization, is a factor of hope for a new moralization of Democracy. Nonetheless, we are still in the beginnings of the History of Recognition, at the stage where we ask still the following question: Do the representations of Recognition that are imposing themselves contribute to make democracies more fragile or do they rather contribute to strengthen democracies? My reflection will proceed to criticize the Relativistic Perspective and, then, that of the Victimary Perspective of Recognition, to emphasize the pure moral force of the imperative of inter-subjectivity, safe from any ideological recuperation. Thus the condition of cultural possibility of a relational universalism will be opened: In the beginning was relation.
ARENDT, H. Essai sur la révolution. Trad. de M. Chestien. Gallimard, Paris, 1967.
BIRNBAUM, J. Christian Jambet, l’Islam dans le désert. Le Monde, Paris, 25 de enero de 2003.
CASTILLO, M. La responsabilité des modernes. Kimé, Paris, 2007.
ELIACHEFF, C. et LARIVIÈRE, D. Le temps des victims. Albin Michel, Paris, 2007.
FERRY, J.-M. L’ethique reconstructive. Cerf, Paris, 1996.
HEGEL, G. W. F. Fragments de Berne. En: Werke in zwanzig Bänden, Suhrkamp, Frankfurt, Band 1, 1971.
HERDER, J. F. Une autre philosophie de l’histoire. Flammarion, Paris, 2000.
HONNETH, A. La lutte pour la reconnaisance. Trad. de P. Rusch. Cerf, Paris, 2002.
LAÏDI, Z. Un monde privé de sens. Hachette, Paris, 2001.
LÉVI-STRAUSS, C. Le regard éloigné. Plon, Paris, 1971.
JACQUES, F. Dialogiques. PUF, Paris, 1979.
____________. Différence et subjectivité. Aubier, Paris, 1982.
NORA, P. Le nationalisme nous a caché la nation. Le Monde, Paris, 18-19 de marzo de 2007.
REDEKER, R. Face aux intimidations islamistes, que doit faire le monde libre? Le Figaro, Paris, 19 de septiembre de 2006.
RICOEUR, P. Soi-même comme un autre. Le Seuil, Paris, 1990.
TAYLOR, C. Politique de reconnaissance. En: Multiculturalisme. Différence et démocratie. Trad. de D. A. Canal. Champs Flammarion, Paris, 1994.
ZAKARIYA, F. La ïcitéou islamisme. Les Arabesà l’heure du choix. Trad. de R. Jacquemond. La Découverte, Paris, 1991.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term "Work" shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
2. Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
3. The Author shall grant to the Publisher a nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoCommercia-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0), or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions: (a) Attribution: Other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;(b) Noncommercial: Other users (including Publisher) may not use this Work for commercial purposes;
4. The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal;
5. Authors are permitted, and Estudios de Filosofía promotes, to post online the preprint manuscript of the Work in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access). Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work is expected be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Estudios de Filosofía's assigned URL to the Article and its final published version in Estudios de Filosofía.