Effect of education on quality of life of family caregivers of children with leukemia referred to the Oncology Clinic at Kerman’s Afzali-Poor Hospital (Iran), 2012
Objective. To investigate the impact of education on the quality of life of parent of children with leukemia referred to the oncology clinic at Kerman’s Afzali-Poor hospital (Iran).
Methodology. This was an interventional study with 80 parents of children with leukemia; all of the caregivers were mothers and were included in the research. They were chosen using the convenience sampling method and categorized randomly into two groups (intervention and control, each with 40 participants). Research tools included demographic information and Quality of Life (QoL) scale (a specific form for first-degree family caregivers of patients with leukemia). Questionnaires were applied at the beginning of the research and after three months; this second evaluation coincided in the study group with the end of the intervention. The intervention lasted four sessions of 45- to 65-minute classes, with lectures and question and answer sessions, educational booklets, and posters in groups with 4 - 6 members.
Results. In the first evaluation, mean QoL scores in the study and control groups were 224.9 and 225.7, which, after three months changed to 338.2 and 226.7, respectively. T-test verified these increases (p<0.05) in quality of life in the intervention group.
Conclusion. According to the effectiveness of the education on the parent’s quality of life, it is recommended to implement consulting and educational programs for parents, especially parents of children with leukemia, to promote care, reduce anxiety, and consequently, enhance quality of life.
(1) Castillo-Martínez D, Juárez-Villegas L, Palomo-Colli M, Medina-Sansón A, Zapata-Tarrés M. Calidad de vida en niños con leucemia linfoblástica aguda durante la inducción a la remisión mediante el PedsQL Cancer Module©. Bol Med Hosp Infant Mex. 2009; 66(5):410-8.
(2) Arfa M, Zaher S. DowatyvA, Moneeb D. Quality of life among parents of children with heart disease. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2008; 6:91.
(3) Karami O. Quality of life of cancer patients in Qazvin. Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences. J Qazvin Med Sci. 2010; 14(3):80-6.
(4) Sitaresmi MN, Mostert S, Gundy CM. et al. Health- related quality of life assessment in Indonesian childhood acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2008; 6(96):1-8.
(5) Belson M, Kingsley B, Holmes A. Risk factors for Acute Leukemia in children: A Review. Environ Health Perspec. 2007; 115(1):138-45.
(6) Piersol, LW, Johson A, Wetsel A, Holtzer K, Walker E. Decreasing psychological distress during the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric leukemia. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2008; 25(96):323-30.
(7) Iqbal A, Siddiqui KS. Depression Among Parents of children with Acute Lymphoblastic leuckemia. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2002;14(2):6-9.
(8) Garcia AR, Del Rio AA, Hernandez P, Martinez MC, Palomare SM, Lazcano E. The emotional response of families to children with leukemia at the lower socio- economic level in central Mexico. Psycho-oncology. 2003; 12:78-90.
(9) Pai AL, Greenley RN, Lewandowski A, Drotar D, Youngstrom E, Peterson CC. A meta-analytic review of the influence of pediatric cancer on parent and family functioning. J Fam Psychol. 2007; 21(3):407-15.
(10) Eiser C. Children with cancer: the quality of life. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 2004.
(11) Spillers RL, Wellisch DK, Kim Y, Matthews BA, Baker F. Family caregivers and guilt in the context of cancer care. Psychosomatics. 2008; 49(6):511-9.
(12) Yamazaki SH, Sokjima SH, Mizoue T, Eboshida S, Fukuhara SH. Health-related quality of life of children with leukemia in Japan. Qual Life Res. 2005; 14:1079-85.
(13) Allahyari A, Alhany F, Kazemnejad A, Izadyar M. The effect of family-centered empowerment model on the Quality of Life of school-age B-thalassemic children. Iran J Pediatr. 2006; 16(4):456-60.
(14) Stanophe M, Lancaster J. Community and Public Health Nursing. 6th Ed. Mosby; 2004.
(15) Fotokian Z , Alikhani M, Salman Yazdi N, Jamshidi R. Quality of life of primary relatives providing care for their cancer patients. Iran J Nurs 2004; 17(38):48-56.
(16) Grant M, Ferrell B, Schmidt GM, Fonbuena P, Niland JC, Forman SJ.Measurement of quality of life in bone marrow transplantation survivors. Qual Life Res. 1992;1(6):375-84.
(17) Willingham L, Johnson A, Wetsel A, Holtzer K, Walker C. Decreasing psychological distress during the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric leukemia. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2008; 25(6):323-30.
(18) Khanjani M, Hatamizadeh N, Hosseini M, Rahgozar MAHDI, Arjmand MANOUCHEHR. The Effect of Care Instruction to Family Caregivers of Children with Cerebral Palsy on Life Quality of Care Givers. Q J Rehab. 2009; 10(3):38-42.
(19) Hicks J, Bartholomew J, Ward SP. Quality of life among childhood leukemia patients. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2003; 20:192-200.
(20) Klassen AF, Klassen R, Dix D, Pritchard S, Yanofsky R, O'Donnell M and et al. Impact of caring for a child with cancer on parents’ health related quality of life. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26(36): 5884-9.
(21) Jacob D. A quasi experimental study to evaluate the effectiveness of the structured teaching programme on the familial concerns among the mothers of the mentally challenged children in the selected special schools in Bangalore, Karnataka [Dissertation]. Bangalore: Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka; 2012.
(22) Sanjari M, Heidari S, Shirazi F, Salemi. (2008). Comparison of Coping Strategies in Iranian Adolescents with Cancer and Their Parents. I ssues Compr Pediatr Nurs. 2008; 31(4):185-97.
(23) Ghazanfari Z, Mohammad Alizadeh S, Khosravi F. Coping method of the parents with the disease of their Thalassemic children. Hormozgan Med J. 2003; 8(4):197-202.
(24) Wills B SH. coping with a child with acute lymphocytic leukemia: The Experiences of Chinese Fathers in Hong Kong. Cancer Nurs. 2009; 32(2):E8-14.
(25) Langhorne M, Fulton J, Otto S. Newton S, Hickey M. Oncology Nursing. 5th Ed. St. Louis: Mosby Publishers, 2007.
Derechos de propiedad / Direitos de Propriedade
English: If the article is accepted for publication, all copyright will be of exclusive property of Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. The text and the graphics included in the publication are exclusive responsibility of the authors and not necessarily reflect the thought of the Editorial Committee.
Español: Si el artículo es aprobado para publicación, todos los derechos son de propiedad de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. El texto y las gráficas incluidas en la publicación son de exclusiva responsabilidad de los autores y no necesariamente refleja el pensamiento del Comité Editorial.
Português: Se o artigo for aceito para publicação, todos os direitos autorais serão de propriedade exclusiva de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. O texto e os gráficos incluídos na publicação são de responsabilidade exclusiva dos autores e não refletem necessariamente o pensamento do Comitê Editorial.