Impact of curricular change on the perception of the educational environment by nursing students
Keywords:Curriculum, nursing evaluation research, students, nursing.
Objective. This study sought to evaluate the impact of curricular change on the perception of the Educational Environment (EE) in nursing students.
Methodology. This was a cross-sectional study. Two consecutive cohorts were evaluated during the second year, entering 2010 (N: 58) and 2011 (N: 57) for former and new curriculum, respectively. A sociodemographic survey and perception of the EE was applied through the Dundee Ready Educational Environment Measure (DREEM) questionnaire.
Results. No differences were detected in the sociodemographic variables between the cohorts. Both groups evaluated EE more positively than negatively. The total average score of the perception of the EE by the 2010 cohort was of 132 points and by the 2011 cohort of 126 points, a statistically significant difference. Upon analyzing the survey items, it was observed that poorer perception exists of the learning atmosphere and of the social environment, as well as poorer assessment of the academic skills in the 2011 cohort compared to the 2010 cohort. The good preparation the students are receiving for the profession and the relevance of the assignments they are learning are considered strengths by the students from both groups.
Conclusions. In spite of how positive the curricular changes could seem, perception of the EE in both cohorts does not reach the excellent category. Before any changes are made to the curriculum, it is indispensable to take into account how the academic load might affect the students.
How to cite this article: Cerón MC, Garbarini A, Parro J, Lavín C. Impact of curricular change on the perception of the educational environment by nursing students. Invest Educ Enferm. 2015; 33(1)…
(1) Hutchinson L. ABC of learning and teaching: Educational Environment. Br Med J. 2003; 326(7393):810-2.
(2) Genn JM. AMEE Medical Education Guide No. 23 (Part 1): curriculum, environment, climate, quality and change in medical education: a unifying perspective. Med Teach. 2001; 23(4):337-44.
(3) Genn JM. AMEE Medical Education Guide No. 23 (Part 2): curriculum, environment, climate, quality and change in medical education – a unifying perspective. Med Teach. 2001; 23(5):445-54.
(4) Bakhshi H, Abazari F, Bakhshialiabad M. Nursing Students´ Perceptions of their Educational Environment Base on DREEM Model in an Iranian University. Malays J Med Sci. 2013; 20 (4):56-63.
(5) Aghmolaei T, Fazel I. Medical students´ perceptions of the educational environment at an Iranian Medical Sciences University. BMC Med Educ. 2010; 10(87):1-7.
(6) Soemantri D, Herrera C, Riquelme A. Measuring the educational environment in health professions studies: A systematic review. Med Teach. 2010; 32(12):947-52.
(7) Goff AM. Stressors. Academic Performance, and Learned Resourcefulness in Baccalaureate Nursing Students. Int J Nur Educ Scholarsh. 2011; 8(1):1-135.
(8) Said N, Rogayah J, Hafizah A. A Study of Learning Environments in the Kulliyyah (Faculty) of Nursing, International Islamic University Malaysia. Malays J Med Sci. 2009; 16 (4):15-24.
(9) Roff S. The Dundee Ready Educational Environment Measure (DREEM): a generic instrument for measuring student´s perceptions of undergraduate health professions curricula. Med Teach. 2005; 27(4):322-5.
(10) Dimolatis I, Vasilaki E, Anastassopoulos P, Ioannina J, Roff S. Validation of the Greek translation of the Dundee Ready Education Environment Measure (DREEM). Educ Health. 2010; 23(1):1-16.
(11) O´Brien AP, Chan TM, Cho MA. Investigating nursing students´ perceptions of the changes in a nursing curriculum by means of the Dundee Ready Education Environment Measure (DREEM) inventory: results of a cluster analysis. Int J Nur Educ Scholarsh. 2008; 5(1):1–18.
(12) Riquelme A, Oporto M, Oporto J, Méndez JI, Viviani P, et al. Measuring Student´s Perceptions of the Educational Climate of the New Curriculum at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile: Performance of the Spanish Translation of the Dundee Ready Educational Environment Measure (DREEM). Educ Health. 2009; 22(1):112.
(13) Herrera C, Pacheco J, Rosso F, et al. Evaluación del Ambiente Educacional pre-clínico en seis Escuelas de Medicina en Chile. Rev Med Chile. 2010; 138: 677-84.
(14) Wang J, Zang S, Shan T. Dundee Ready Education Environment Measure: psychometric testing with Chinese nursing students. J Adv Nurs. 2009; 65(12): 2701-9.
How to Cite
Derechos de propiedad / Direitos de Propriedade
English: If the article is accepted for publication, all copyright will be of exclusive property of Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. The text and the graphics included in the publication are exclusive responsibility of the authors and not necessarily reflect the thought of the Editorial Committee.
Español: Si el artículo es aprobado para publicación, todos los derechos son de propiedad de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. El texto y las gráficas incluidas en la publicación son de exclusiva responsabilidad de los autores y no necesariamente refleja el pensamiento del Comité Editorial.
Português: Se o artigo for aceito para publicação, todos os direitos autorais serão de propriedade exclusiva de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. O texto e os gráficos incluídos na publicação são de responsabilidade exclusiva dos autores e não refletem necessariamente o pensamento do Comitê Editorial.