Frecuencia de consumo de bebidas alcohólicas ¿entre los pacientes con cáncer bucal de la unidad de cirugía maxilofacial y estomatología del HUSVP (Medellín) entre enero de 1996 y junio de 2000
Keywords:Oral cancer, Alcohol
There are many risk factors associated with the appearance of oral cancer, among them are the cigarette and alcohol consumption. This descriptive retroprospective study measured different variables as age, sex, alcoholic drinks and cigarette consumption among patients with diagnosis of oral cancer at the Maxillofacial Surgery and Stomatology Service from the "Hospital Universitario San Vicente de Paul" in Medellin, Colombia. there was a high prevalence of oral cancer in men over 45 years, with a significant increase after the 60 years, being squamous cell carcinoma the main type of cancer diagnosed (88%). The most frequent location was the lateral border of the tongue. 36% of the patients were simultaneously alcohol and cigarette consumers and only 23% were pure alcoholic consumers. It was not possible to establish cause-effect relationship between alcohol consumption and oral cancer, although it was observed that there is a high risk when cigarette and alcohol are consumed simultaneously. It should be investigated another type of habits that could be associated to the appearance of oral cancer in our population, due to the high number of people with the illness and without well-known habits.
2. Silverman S. Epidemiology. En: Oral Cancer. The American Cancer Society, 1-6, 1990.
3. La Vecchia C, Tavani A, Franceschi S, Levi F, Corrao G, Negri E. Epidemiology and Prevention of Oral Cancer. Oral Oncol, 1997; 33 (5): 302-312.
4. Silverman S, Shillitoe E. Oral Cancer Etiology and Predisposing Factors. En: Oral Cancer. 2. ed. New York: The American Cancer Society, 7-39, 1990.
5. Wynder E. et. al Enviromental factor in cancer of the upper aliment tract: A Swedish study with special reference to Plummer-Vinson Syndrome. Cancer. 1957 10: 470.
6. Ogden G y Wight A. Etiology of oral cancer: Alcohol. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1995; 36 (4): 247-251.
7. Boyd NM, Reade PC. Mechanisms of carcinogenesis with particular reference to the oral mucosa. J Oral Path. 1988; 17 (5): 193-201.
8. Keller A, Terris M. The association of alcohol and Tobacco with Cancer of the mouth and pharynx. Public Health. 1965; 55: 1578.
9. Hindle I, Downer M.C, Mores D.R, Speight P.M. Is Alcohol Responsible for more Intra-oral Cancer? Oral Oncol. 2000; 36 (4): 328-333.
10. Walder F. et al Evaluation of the consumption of alcohol and tobacco in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of mouth. Oral Oncol, Abstracts of the international Congress on oral cancer. 2001; 37: S85.
11. Maier et al. Occupational exposure to hazardous substances and risk of cancer of the oral cavity, hipopharynx and laringx. Laryngol Rhinol Otol. 1991; 70:93-98.
12. Schwartz D. et al Alcohol and Cancer. Results of a Retrospective investigation. Rev Fr Etiol Clin. 1993; 35: 560-567.
13. Holland J F y Bast R. Cancer Medicine. USA, Volum I. 1997
14. Bernal y cols Relación entre bebidas alcohólicas y la aparición del cáncer oral. Rev Fed Odontol Col. 2000; 198: 69-74.
15. DIRECCIÓN SECCIONAL DE SALUD DE ANTIOQUIA. Vigilancia Epidemiológica sobre el uso indebido de sustancias psicoactivas. Boletín Epidemiológico de Antioquia. XIX 2: 180 -194, 1992.
16. Llewelyn J y Mitchel R. Smoking, alcohol and oral cancer in South East Scotland: a 20 year experience. Br J Maxillofac Surg. 1994; 32:146-152.
17. De Stefani E et al. Hard liquor drinking is associated with higher risk of cancer the oral cavity and pharynx than wine drinking. A case control Study in Uruguay. Oral Oncol. 1998; 34: 99.
How to Cite
Copyright comprises moral and patrimonial rights.
1. Moral rights: are born at the moment of the creation of the work, without the need to register it. They belong to the author in a personal and unrelinquishable manner; also, they are imprescriptible, unalienable and non negotiable. Moral rights are the right to paternity of the work, the right to integrity of the work, the right to maintain the work unedited or to publish it under a pseudonym or anonymously, the right to modify the work, the right to repent and, the right to be mentioned, in accordance with the definitions established in article 40 of Intellectual property bylaws of the Universidad (RECTORAL RESOLUTION 21231 of 2005).
2. Patrimonial rights: they consist of the capacity of financially dispose and benefit from the work trough any mean. Also, the patrimonial rights are relinquishable, attachable, prescriptive, temporary and transmissible, and they are caused with the publication or divulgation of the work. To the effect of publication of articles in the journal Revista de la Facultad de Odontología, it is understood that Universidad de Antioquia is the owner of the patrimonial rights of the contents of the publication.
The content of the publications is the exclusive responsibility of the authors. Neither the printing press, nor the editors, nor the Editorial Board will be responsible for the use of the information contained in the articles.
I, we, the author(s), and through me (us), the Entity for which I, am (are) working, hereby transfer in a total and definitive manner and without any limitation, to the Revista Facultad de Odontología Universidad de Antioquia, the patrimonial rights corresponding to the article presented for physical and digital publication. I also declare that neither this article, nor part of it has been published in another journal.
Open Access Policy
The articles published in our Journal are fully open access, as we consider that providing the public with free access to research contributes to a greater global exchange of knowledge.
Creative Commons License
The Journal offers its content to third parties without any kind of economic compensation or embargo on the articles. Articles are published under the terms of a Creative Commons license, known as Attribution – NonCommercial – Share Alike (BY-NC-SA), which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided that the original work is properly cited and that the new productions are licensed under the same conditions.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.