Experience Lived by Iranian Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Transitory Crisis and Liberation
Keywords:Irritable bowel síndrome, qualitative research, hermeneutics.
Objective. Research on the nature of living with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Methods. Qualitative study of the hermeneutical phenomenology, which conducted in-depth semi-structured interviews with people trained on the irritable bowel syndrome. The sampling was intentional type and open questions were used to collect data. The Thematic Analysis Method by Van Manen was used.
Results. Two principal themes and five subthemes emerged in this research to determine the meaning of living with the irritable bowel syndrome: Storm in corporality (body with pain and affliction, tension and sequence of symptoms, and: distress during moments of life) and Relief (sense of liberation of the body symptoms, and moments with pleasure).
Conclusion. The experience lived by patients with irritable bowel syndrome is of a transitory crisis and liberation.
How to cite this article: Mohebbi Z, Sharif F, Peyrovi H, Rakhshan M, Naini MA, Zarshenas L. Experience Lived by Iranian Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Transitory Crisis and Liberation. Invest. Educ. Enferm. 2019; 37(3):e10.
(1) Drossman DA, Morris CB, Schneck S, Hu YJB, Norton NJ, Norton WF, et al. International survey of patients with IBS: Symptom features and their severity, health status, treatments, and risk taking to achieve clinical benefit. J. Clin. Gastroenterol. 2009; 43(6):541-50.
(2) Jahangiri P, Jazi MS, Keshteli AH, Sadeghpour S, Amini E, Adibi P. Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Iran: SEPAHAN Systematic Review No. 1. Int. J. Prev. Med. 2012; 3(Suppl 1):S1-9. [Persian]
(3) Ganji A, Malekzadeh F, Safavi M, Nassri-Moghaddam S, Nourie M, Merat Sh, et al. Digestive and liver disease statistics in Iran. Middle East J. Dig. Dis. 2009; 1(9):56–62.
(4) Khademolhosseini F, Mehrabani D, Nejabat M, Beheshti M, Heydari ST, Mirahmadizadeh A, et al. Irritable bowel syndrome in adults over 35 years in Shiraz, southern Iran: prevalence and associated factors. J. Res. Med. Sci. 2011; 16(2):200-6.
(5) Farzaneh N, Ghobakhlou M, Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Naderi N, Fadai F. Anxiety and depression in a sample of Iranian patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Iran J. Psychiatry Behav. Sci. 2013; 7(1): 30-36.
(6) Tamannaifar MR, Akhavan-Hejazi Z. Comparing the mental health and quality of life in patients with irritable bowel syndrome and healthy subjects in Kashan, Iran. Feyz 2013; 17(2): 195-202. [Persian]
(7) Roshandel D, Rezailashkajani M, Shafaee S, Zali MR. A cost analysis of functional bowel disorders in Iran. Int. J. Colorectal Dis. 2007; 22(7):791–9.
(8) Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Vahedi M, Pourhoseingholi MA, Khoshkrood MB, Safaee A, Habibi M, et al. Economic burden attributable to functional bowel disorders in Iran: a cross-sectional population-based study. J. Dig. Dis. 2011; 12(5):384–92.
(9) Lacy BE, Lee RD. Irritable bowel syndrome: a syndrome in evolution. J. Clin. Gastroenterol. 2005; 39(5):S230–S242.
(10) Lackner JM, Mesmer C, Morley S, Dowzer C, Hamilton S. Psychological treatments for irritable bowel syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 2004; 72(6):1100–13.
(11) Fawcett J, Desanto-Madeya S. Contemporary nursing knowledge: analysis and evaluation of nursing models and theories. Third Ed. F. A. Davis Company; 2013.
(12) Drossman DA, Chang L, Schneck S, Blackman C, Norton WF, Norton NJ. A focus group assessment of patient perspectives on irritable bowel syndrome and illness severity. Digest. Dis. Sci. 2009; 54(7):1532-41.
(13) Schneider MA, Fletcher PC. ‘I feel as if my IBS is keeping me hostage!’ Exploring the negative impact of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) upon university‐aged women. Int. J. Nurs. Pract. 2008; 14(2):135-48.
(14) Farndale R, Roberts L. Long-term impact of irritable bowel syndrome: a qualitative study. Prim. Health Care Res. Dev. 2011; 12(01):52-67.
(15) Fletcher PC, Jamieson AE, Schneider MA, Harry RJ. "I know this is bad for me, but...": a qualitative investigation of women with irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease: part II. Clin. Nurse Spec. 2008; 22(4):184-91.
(16) Fletcher PC, Schneider MA, Van Ravenswaay V, Leon Z. I am doing the best that I can!: Living with inflammatory bowel disease and/or irritable bowel syndrome (part II). Clin. Nurse Spec. 2008; 2(6):278-85.
(17) McCormick JB, Hammer RR, Farrell RM, Geller G, James KM, Loftus EV, et al. Experiences of patients with chronic gastrointestinal conditions: in their own words. Health Qual. Life Outcomes. 2012; 10:25.
(18) Håkanson C, Sahlberg‐Blom E, Nyhlin H, Ternestedt BM. Struggling with an unfamiliar and unreliable body: the experience of irritable bowel syndrome. J. Nurs. Healthcare Chronic Illn. 2009; 1(1):29-38.
(19) Navab E, Hajibabaee F. Phenomenology with focusing on Van Manen methodology. Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Andisherafiea Publication; 2016. (in Persian)
(20) van Mannen M. Phenomenology of practice. Meaning- Giving Methods in Phenomenological; Research and Writing. Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press, Inc; 2014.
(21) Lincoln YS, Guba EG. Naturalist enquiry. Los Angeles: Sage Publications; 1985.
(22) Lämås K, Anundsson E, Stare A-C, Jacobsson C. An interview study of the experiences of middle-aged women living with constipation. Clin. Nurs. Stud. 2015; 3(2): 1-7.
(23) Ohman M, Söderberg S, Lundman B. Hovering between suffering and enduring: the meaning of living with serious chronic illness. Qual. Health Res. 2003; 13(4): 528-42.
(24) Bertram S, Kurland M, Lydick E, Locke GR 3rd, Yawn BP. The patient's perspective of irritable bowel syndrome. J. Fam. Pract. 2001; 50(6):521-5.
(25) Bengtsson M, Sjöberg K, Candamio M, Lerman A, Ohlsson B. Anxiety in close relationships is higher and self-esteem lower in patients with irritable bowel syndrome compared to patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Eur. J. Intern. Med. 2013; 24(3):266-72.
(26) Bennett EJ, Tennant CC, Piesse C, Badcock CA, Kellow JE. Level of chronic life stress predicts clinical outcome in irritable bowel syndrome. Gut. 1998; 43(2):256-61.
(27) Jakobsson Ung E, Ringstrom G, Sjövall H, Simrén M. How patients with long-term experience of living with irritable bowel syndrome manage illness in daily life: a qualitative study. Eur. J Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2013; 25(12):1478–83.
(28) Carrasco GA, Van de Kar LD. Neuroendocrine pharmacology of stress. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 2003; 463(1-3):235-72.
(29) Modabbernia MJ, Mansour-Ghanaei F, Imani A, Mirsafa-Moghaddam S A, Sedigh-Rahimabadi M, Yousefi-Mashhour M, et al. Anxiety-depressive disorders among irritable bowel syndrome patients in Guilan, Iran. BMC Res. Notes. 2012; 5: 112.
(30) Bengtsson M, Ohlsson B, Ulander K. Women with irritable bowel syndrome and their perception of a good quality of life. Gastroenterol. Nurs. 2007; 30(2):74-82
(31) Faulkner T-L E. Young adults living with inflammatory bowel disease - a phenomenological study. (Dissertation). Memorial University of Newfoundland; 2008.
(32) Mohebbi Z, Sharif F, Peyrovi H, Rakhshan M, Naini MA, Zarshenas L. Self-Perception of Iranian Patients during their life with Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Qualitative Study. Electron Physician. 2017; 9(12):5885-93.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Investigación y Educación en Enfermería
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Derechos de propiedad / Direitos de Propriedade
English: If the article is accepted for publication, all copyright will be of exclusive property of Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. The text and the graphics included in the publication are exclusive responsibility of the authors and not necessarily reflect the thought of the Editorial Committee.
Español: Si el artículo es aprobado para publicación, todos los derechos son de propiedad de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. El texto y las gráficas incluidas en la publicación son de exclusiva responsabilidad de los autores y no necesariamente refleja el pensamiento del Comité Editorial.
Português: Se o artigo for aceito para publicação, todos os direitos autorais serão de propriedade exclusiva de Investigación y Educación en Enfermería. O texto e os gráficos incluídos na publicação são de responsabilidade exclusiva dos autores e não refletem necessariamente o pensamento do Comitê Editorial.